Sunday, October 3, 2010

Stage 2 - North Platte, Nebraska - 1,431 miles

THE CONDIMENT MAP

It turns out, the rumours that Nebraska hasn't discovered condiments yet were true. Therefore, our progress thus far is brought to you today by some volunteers from my tuna salad sandwich.

Disclaimer: This blog should, and will be, a bit longer, but it's super late and I'm knackered.

2 - Altered States

The day started early - silly early.
4:45am reared its ugly head, as did the Dutchman, and both yanked me kicking and screaming from my slumber. The one upside of this was we were able to raid the continental breakfast before the rest of the guests, thus depriving them of their cheap danishes and mini bagels.
Not really sure where this concept of a 'continental breakfast' came from, as it is nothing like the folks in Continental Europe eat. Perhaps the 'continental' bit just refers to the fine continent of North America.
Anyhoo - I digress.


We were on the road and filling the gas tank before the sun rose again - the first of 19 gas stops today.


It wasn't long before we left Nevada in our dust and swanned into the bountiful land of Utah.


The sun rose, and we gazed upon the salt flats in wonder. Then we gazed upon them with tedium, and finally we gazed upon them with blind hatred.


It was at this point that Guido 'Rumble Stripper' Lek, decided to jeopardize the entire trip by stopping to pick some sage brush.


Not only am I sure that this is illegal, and that he will be barred from entering Canada with it, but he insisted on hanging it in the cab of the truck, which caused our noses and eyes to water relentlessly and could only be counteracted by an obnoxious act from me.

After driving past Salt Lake City while sleeping, we decided to have second breakfast on top of a mountain, where we met a nice chap called Ken who shared his table with us, and then his anti-Muslim sentiments.
Ah, lovely. Then he had to go as he was late for church.

Our favorite gas station so far has been Sinclair as they are honest enough to remind us where our gas comes from.


We sidled quietly out of the land of temples and into Wyoming, the land of cattle and men who love them.


Wyoming was pretty groovy, lots of interesting rocks and plenty of cows, all of whom refused to return our 'moos'.


It was in this state that we received a call from my bro-in-law, Paul, who suggested we press onto North Platte in Nebraska.


After much agonising and lots of coffee, we decided to follow his advice, and this is where I sit, typing...

So all in, including brief stops, we pulled a 15 hour day. I'm thinking of changing my name to Numm Buttox.

Onwards, ever onwards - to Chicago!

Pray for us.
Unless you are Ken.

N.

me co-pilots

6 comments:

  1. Ken can suck it.

    And I'm glad to see you are subscribing to the Hobbits' meal schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 19 stops for gas? Do you still think moving the stuff in a U-haul is cheaper than hiring the guy with a big truck? Of course, if you had hired a moving van, we wouldn't have this amusingly entertaining blog to look forward to each day. I guess it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I red this update in the early morning in The Netherlands. Now it's already evening here and I'm looking forward to the next update... Although I do know that it's impossible for you to update the blog at 'my time', I'm constantly checking :-) !
    Have fun, sleep well, and because it's 'animal-day', give all the animals in the truck a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Neil!
    You're daily blog is a fantastic idea.
    I don't know you're Dutchman, but any friend of yours is a friend of mine. Please tell him I say Hello!
    ... oh yeah, and kiss Eric for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this blog. It's like taking a road trip with you, minus the butt-numbing car ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those crazy Mormons!

    ReplyDelete